Hiring divorce lawyers in Brisbane can be a stressful and emotional process. Separating from a spouse is hard enough, and the stress from legal preparations can take its toll on anybody. If you’re having problems looking for a law expert, here are a few tips that should help.
When do you need one?
Not all divorces result in messy legal situations. In fact, most of them don’t even make it to court. For couples with no children, the process is easier as there is no custody case. However, in some instances, a lawyer is needed to protect one party. Common instances include:
- The other party already has an attorney.
- There is a need to protect your reputation. This is often the case in situations where the couple’s separation was not amicable.
- The properties are sizeable enough to warrant protection.
- There are instances of verbal or physical abuse in the relationship, and one party wants to press charges.
- There are children involved and custody cannot be decided on privately.
Find someone who specialises in Divorce Lawyers.
Attorneys can have a variety of specialisations. In divorces, it’s best to hire someone who practices family law. They will know more about specific laws and regulations regarding your situation. There are a variety of ways to do this:
- Look online – The Internet is a great place to find a suitable lawyer for your case. When looking for a verified practitioner, make sure you look for someone who practices in your area.
- Ask for recommendations – You can always find tried and tested attorneys from recommendations. Ask your family and friends if they know a practitioner you can go to.
Make sure that the attorney is licenced.
Before signing a binding contract, it’s important to make sure that the lawyer is licenced and fully certified. In Brisbane, specialist accreditation is available for individuals who practice a specific type of law. Ask for the individual’s licence number and check it with the registry. Your state or territory has a website where you can look through their lawyer database.
Call Emerson Family Law for qualified divorce lawyers in Brisbane.